The "Iuliu Hatieganu" University of Medicine and Pharmacy
Medicine, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy
We are the oldest institution of medical education in Transylvania
“Iuliu Haţieganu” University of Medicine and Pharmacy represents the place where the present respects the past and builds the future, a European university that constantly improves its academic quality and aims at increasing the competitiveness on a national and international level.
With a history dating back to the 1500s, today our university is one of the top-rated research and education Romanian universities. We have students from over 60 countries, grouped in 3 faculties: the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Dental Medicine and the Faculty of Pharmacy. This gives our university a distinct multicultural charm.
The university’s management is committed to strive for academic excellence and performance. Our mission is to act as a public institution for education, continuous training and research, serving the society, contributing to its development and its continuous adaptation to the European requirements.
Today, we represent
“Iuliu Haţieganu” University of Medicine and Pharmacy offers
- a center of excellence in education, training of specialists, research, healthcare and pharmaceuticals
- an institution that provides quality training for future doctors and pharmacists, through a student-centered education
- one of the most reputable medical universities in the country
- an active and dynamic factor in the socio-cultural life of Cluj-Napoca, a reference institution of the city
Our mission is
- An elite academic staff
- European curricula
- Study programmes and scholarships in the EU
- Modern methods for the assessment of the educational process
- The certainty of a quality university formation
- Modern laboratory, with European standard endowments
- The advantage of experience and the prestige of Cluj’s medical school
- The perspective of a high performance professional path
- Academic training in the fields of medicine and pharmacy
- Continuous training through postgraduate courses, courses of specialization, granting competences, organizing of conferences and symposia
- Promoting scientific research as a basic activity of all teachers
- The opening towards society, by combining tradition and novelty in bio-medical sciences
Undergraduate education - Bachelor Degrees
- Bachelor Degrees
- Masters Degrees
- PhD Studies
- Residency programs
- Postgraduate training courses – Continuous Medical Education (CME)
- Granting complementary competencies
The curricula are continuously updated and improved according to modern trends in Europe and world-wide. The content of the curricula and its implementation successfully combine tradition and modernity, preparing for the continuing process of professional development. In order to ensure the optimum participation of students in practical education, they are divided into study groups of 10-12 students, each group being supervised by an assistant lecturer.
The students who have special skills for research are integrated into scientific research student circles where, under the direct guidance of the teaching staff they carry out their activity in the research laboratories of the university, with access to top performance technology. The results of their activity can be communicated and published in scientific meetings, symposiums, specialty reviews and/or used for their graduation papers.
The courses end with The License examination consisting of four tests: two theoretical tests, one practical test and the presentation of the diploma paper (paper elaborated during the final year of study under the scientific direction of the teaching staff).
Faculty of Medicine
The Faculty of Medicine is a modern and dynamic faculty. Medicine in Cluj is individualized through excellence and care for the patient, which are fundamental values, affirmed since the founding of the faculty by its founders, but present today during day to day work and at the same time within the faculty’s development strategy.
With an expanding infrastructure – spacious amphitheaters, European level laboratories, access to state of the art clinics, completely computerized libraries, new dormitories, students’ restaurant, sports facilities – the Faculty of Medicine is a landmark for academic education.
|| Credits / ECTS
|| 6 years
|| Ro, Fr, En
| General Medical Assistance
|| 4 years
| Radiology and Imagistics
|| 3 years
| Balneo-physio-kinetotherapy and Rehabilitation
|| 3 years
Faculty of Dental Medicine
With a tradition of almost 100 years, the dentistry academic medical education in Cluj is the first mandatory dentistry academic education in Romania.
Within the Dental Medicine Faculty over 1300 students are being educated, out of which over 700 are foreign students. Although they have different cultural and linguistic traditions, the students are initiated in the secrets of a unique profession – that of answering the needs of the patient in suffering, bringing back his/her health, smile and joy of life. The three lines of teaching in Romanian, French and English provide the students the possibility of fast and efficient integration in the education system specific to the dental medicine.
Faculty of Pharmacy
|| Credits / ECTS
| Dental Medicine
|| 6 years
|| Ro, Fr, En
| Dental Technique
|| 3 years
The Faculty of Pharmacy provides a multidisciplinary formation, adapted to the requirements on the labor market, and its graduates can practice within the country or abroad, being able to choose from a wide range of fields: community or hospital pharmacy, medicine distribution, clinical laboratories (medical analyses) or analytical laboratories (forensic medicine, environment, public health and food safety), pharmaceutical industry, cosmetic industry, sanitary policies and also the field of healthcare services, through the formation of nutritionists.
Master’s Degree Studies
|| Credits / ECTS
|| 5 years
|| Ro, Fr, En
| Nutrition and Dietetics
|| 3 years
- are interdisciplinary studies targeting the thorough studying of the subjects in the field of bachelor studies or in a similar field, lasting for two r four semesters
- their target is to develop the scientific research capacities and to achieve a foundation for doctoral studies
The formation of specialists through residency programmes
- target the training of young graduates for the purpose of achieving the skills necessary for performing high standard scientific research
- the goal of the development of Ph.D. programmes, in collaboration with European universities, is the increase in quality of research products and the common recognition of titles. This way, the bonds in the Area of European Higher Education and in the European Research Area are strengthened.
Postgraduate advanced courses (Continuous Medical Education)
- are a form of postgraduate training, offered to the graduates of the Faculties of Medicine, Dental Medicine and Pharmacy in order to obtain medical or pharmaceutical specializations
- the duration of the residency varies, according to the specialization, from 3 to 6 years
The obtaining of certificates for complementary studies
- insures an increase in the level of knowledge, abilities and skills necessary for enhancing the quality of the medical act and performance in the field of activity
Scientific and research activity
- are a form of postgraduate training in the following fields: technical, diagnosis or therapeutic – complementary to medical and pharmaceutical specializations
Our university enjoys a wide range of national and international research agreements and there is a constant exchange of ideas and academic mobility with countries from all over the world.
The number of research grants/contracts won by our university, in the last years, assured us the second place at national level. More than half of our university’s financial support is assured through research grants or contracts.
We have several research and excellence centers, accredited by the National Council of Scientific Research in Higher Education, in various domains from oncology to pediatrics, immunology or rheumatologic diseases.
International research programs:
- Framework Programs FP
- Marie Curie fellowships
As a student, you will benefit from the latest information in these fields. You will have the possibility to interact with research and be involved in research projects. Support for research come from a large variety of sources, ranging from government, international programmes, industry.
The highest number of foreign citizens studying in Romania, coming from over 60 countries.
- of the Romanian Government
- of the European Commission (LLP / Erasmus, Erasmus Mundus, Tempus)
- of the Francophone Universities Agency (AUF, scholarships Eugène Ionesco)
- of other cooperation programs (CEEPUS, DAAD)
Cooperation agreements with universities in South Africa, Canada, France, Georgia, Germany, Israel, Italy, USA and Hungary.
Valeriu Bologa Library
Subscriptions to international data bases online access:
- an heritage of over 300.000 volumes, books and magazines
- over 6000 registered users
- fully computerized - with its own electronic network access to database
- subscriptions to Romanian and foreign publications
- all operations regarding acquisition, cataloging, user enlistment, and lending transactions are made using the integrated system Liberty3
- member of EAHIL (European Association for Health Information and Libraries)
- Elsevier Science Direct Health Sciences;
- OVID - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins High Clinical Impact + Cochrane;
- Oxford Journals Biomedical Collection;
- EBSCO; Wiley Interscience;
- MD Consult;
- EMBASE; WEB OF SCIENCE,
- Journal Citation Reports;
We understand very well the importance of internationalization of Higher Education, and therefore, our university has developed over the years an extensive international cooperation through existing European and international Programs: Tempus, Erasmus, Socrates and Phare, by initiating regional or European mutual research projects, and by introducing the transferable credit system to facilitate student mobility. Our university is affiliated to important university associations: EUA, AUF (Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie); CIDMEF (Conférence Internationale des Doyens de Médecine d'Expression Française) and the European Association of Pharmacy Faculties. The international co-operation is developing permanently through students and staff exchanges in the framework of Erasmus, AUF and other programmes.
Living in Cluj-Napoca
Cluj-Napoca, the ancient cradle of Romanian culture and civilization, is situated in the heart of the historical province of Transylvania, in the North-West of the country. It is the centre of the Cluj region, with a favorable strategic position, at the confluence of national and international communication channels. As the principal town of the district, it is one of the most important university, cultural and industrial centres of Romania, with a population of more than 400,000 inhabitants and about 80,000 students.