The College of Estate Management CEM
CEM is the leading provider of supported distance learning for real estate and construction professionals. We have been playing a key role in the property world for over 90 years. At any one time we have over 4,000 students from more than 100 countries benefiting from our courses – all taught by tutors with extensive industry experience.
We cover almost every property-related topic at diploma, degree and postgraduate level, as well as providing professional development courses and tailor-made corporate training solutions. Our active research programme contributes to knowledge across the profession, benefiting businesses, practitioners and policymakers alike.
How you’ll study with CEM
All our courses are delivered through supported distance learning. This means you study in your own time, at home or wherever you wish, through a structured study programme with a set timetable and assessment dates. You’ll have online guidance and support from experienced tutors throughout your course and occasional face-to-face teaching to enhance your learning experience. This flexible approach allows you to balance your study with work or other commitments in a way that suits you.
Benefits of our distance learning approach
• Puts you in control of your own time – ideal for busy professionals
• Allows you to continue working and earn while you learn
• Complements your workplace experience and helps build your chosen career
• Comprehensive multimedia study materials and essential textbooks
• Regular tutor guidance and feedback on assignments to check your progress
• Selected live teaching sessions and networking opportunities
• Access to an online learning community of students, tutors and mentors providing feedback, discussion and support
You’ll need time (up to 20 hours a week), energy and a strong personal commitment to self-development.
To help you decide whether you are suited to distance learning, it may be useful to find out more from one of our Course Leaders or Administrators, or someone you know with first-hand experience of this type of study.
We have in-house academic tutors, each with extensive experience in their specialist area, both in practice and in teaching. Our expertise is industry-based and highly relevant to the working student. The in-house team is supplemented by more than 250 associate tutors who contribute specialist knowledge to our teaching.
At CEM we aim to provide learning resources that fit into our students’ busy schedules and meet individual learning preferences.
We write and publish our own study materials, supplemented where appropriate with externally published textbooks and other learning aids. All written study material is provided to students in both paper format and online, and is included in your course fee.
We have a specialist team at CEM working with our course tutors to develop innovative and up-to-date study resources to enhance written teaching and learning material. For example, we use interactive presentations, combining video, animation, drawings, photos, text, and audio with subtitles and transcripts where appropriate.
These tailored presentations allow you to easily fast forward, pause or repeat slides at your own pace. Real-time, on-screen emulations are used to get across complicated or visual information – when demonstrating a spreadsheet being completed with the use of formulae, for example.
Your online learning environment
Really effective distance learning only happens with proper support and communication with tutors and fellow students. With us you benefit from a group learning experience, keep motivated and aren’t left to cope alone.
Our VLE provides online study resources and an online community which gives you contact with students and teaching and administrative staff throughout your studies. This means you can enjoy many of the benefits of a traditional full-time college environment.
Through the VLE you’ll be part of a worldwide virtual community of like-minded professionals, sharing similar challenges, balancing work and other commitments while getting to grips with new knowledge and skills. And through discussion and questioning, you can strengthen your understanding and hear a range of perspectives and opinions – an essential part of building your professional career.
Features of the VLE
• Up-to-date announcements, study materials and exam timetables
• Online assignment submission, feedback and results
• Discussion forums shared by fellow students, tutors and CEM staff
• Access to online classrooms for lectures and discussions
• Information on the support available from CEM
• Access to libraries of periodicals to support the writing of your assignments, projects and dissertations
• Comprehensive study skills section providing support on written English and maths as well as other aspects of studying at a distance