Guide for International Students on Volunteering
As an international student, you will not have the luxury of going home each time your university or college closes for holidays. Rather than spending your time doing nothing, you can look to volunteer. In fact, volunteering is a wonderful way to boost your personal and professional experience while bringing about a positive change in the community.
There are many students who have managed to enrol in some of the best colleges and universities against all odds assisted by essays online from confidential essay writing service BuyEssays.net. These students have struggled to reach the pinnacle of success and realise the importance of giving back to those who are not as privileged. Then there are others who want to make a difference by giving back to the community. Regardless of your reason for volunteering, there are numerous opportunities for international students.
Options for international students
You should always make an effort to volunteer for issues that you feel strongly about. This passion will help you perform in a productive manner. Some volunteering opportunities that you can look at include:
- Befriending a senior: There are several organisations that work with seniors who are alone and isolated. You can offer your time to provide such an individual friendship and support by doing their shopping or just spending time with them.
- Literacy support and tutoring: Non-profit organisations across the world work with underprivileged children to help them with their studies. In fact, tutoring and literacy support volunteering opportunities are available across all age groups.
- Youth work: If you are passionate about empowering youth so that they can develop and find their way in life, you can look for volunteering opportunities that include becoming a positive role model for a young person, mentoring, helping out in a youth club and supervising young people.
- Fundraising: Ways of getting involved in fundraising can range from coming up with new ideas to raise money to actively getting involved in educating others and running events.
Charities that you can volunteer for
There are many charitable organisations that are constantly looking for volunteers. Some of these include:
International students have numerous opportunities to volunteer. These opportunities can be fulfilling while helping students to broaden their horizons, become more productive during their free time and improve their employment prospects in the future.
- Samaritans: This organisation is an outlet for people who want someone to listen to them. It is not religiously inclined and is open to anyone who wants to volunteer and help depressed and lonely people looking to voice their thoughts and opinions.
- Penny Appeal: Registered in England and Wales, Penny Appeal looks to alleviate hunger due to poverty, provide access to clean drinking water and offer access to education to destitute and orphaned children across the world. The organisation welcomes student volunteers who want to make a difference in the lives of people who are less fortunate. You can join the organisation’s fundraising endeavours to improve underprivileged children’s lives.
- Women for Women International: This organisation works with marginalised women in countries affected by war and conflict. It supports women to earn and save money, improve their health and wellbeing, and offers access to tools and skills to help these women become self-sufficient and overcome the crisis and trauma that they had to endure.