|Study Guide to Masters and Bachelors Degree Courses|
|The Language Centre
University of Durham
|Address||Elvet Riverside, New Elvet, Durham DH1 3JT|
|Tel. No.||+44(0) 191 334 2230|
|Fax No.||+44(0) 191 334 2231|
|Type of courses||Full Time|
|Length of courses||
1,2 & 3 months, Focus on MBA 1 month, Preparation for MBA 10 weeks
10- 30 weeks
Minimum 2 weeks, Maximum 12 weeks
|Date of commencement||
Preparatory English Course - October|
General English Course - June to September
|Student accommodation|| |
|Cost / Fees|| |
Pre- Sessional English for Academic Purposes - 12 |
Preparatory English Course - 12
General English Course - 18 maximum
|Level of courses||
Preparatory English Course - IELTS 4.5 – IELTS 7 |
General English Course - Not suitable for students who are not high school graduates. Secondary 18-19, BA/BSc or equivalent, PostGraduate
Pre- Sessional English for Academic Purposes - Melinda Whong- Barr |
Preparatory English Course - Philip Nathan
General English Course - Megan Williams
DULC has expanded rapidly in recent years in order to support Durham’s very strong international profile. We run a wide variety of year-round and summer courses in English for Academic and Business Purposes, Teacher Development and General English. We have developed expertise in teacher training for native and overseas teachers of English. We are a centre for the UCLES/ RSA CELTA and DELTA courses and we have been involved in the training of a large number of overseas teachers both in Durham and abroad. We have recently been responsible for the design and successful delivery of several substantial international language teaching projects as well other smaller training initiatives. These include:
• British Council sponsored programmes for Hubei and Jiangsu Provinces – Teacher Development Programmes
• During the summers of 2002, 2003 and 2004 The language Centre ran summer school programmes for Young Learners from Spain, Italy, Iran, Greece, Korea and China. In 2004 over 500 students between the ages of 11 and 18 attended these courses.
• 4 and 6 week Teacher Development courses for Chinese secondary school teachers from Anshan Province, Shanghai and Shenzhen in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
• 4 week Teacher Development Programme for teachers from Jinan Province in China
• The ESP component of the Shanghai Municipal Tax and Finance Bureau Reform Project for DFID and the Crown Agents (Teacher training and materials development). The programme involved training Bureau teachers in both Shanghai and Durham. The long term goal was to develop an English Language unit within the Bureau to teach targeted staff the language of tax and finance. Staff from the Language Centre spent 12 weeks in Shanghai in 1998. Christopher Anderson subsequently returned on 3 further occasions to complete the project.
• IELTS training course for 20 Chinese teachers of English in GuangZhou. This course was sponsored by the British Council in GuangZhou.
• Lingua ‘B’ funded training for teachers from Italy both at elementary and middle school level
• Teacher training and curriculum reform in the CIS (Central Asia)
• A four-year project in English for Medical Purposes training and curriculum reform (Central Europe).
• Teacher trainee development for the University of Zurich
• Curriculum guidelines and base-line study seminar for the British Institute (British Council) and the Ministry of Education Montenegro
• Teacher Training for secondary school teachers from Algeria and Tunisia (British Council)
Request For Further Information
To add detailed information on your school/university contact email@example.com|
Educate Abroad | firstname.lastname@example.org