Ghent University, Belgium
Master of Science in Aquaculture
Master of Science in Aquaculture: Because
Aquaculture is defined as the production of aquatic plants and animals for human consumption. Under the pressure of the increasing world population on one hand and the stagnating or even declining fishery landings on the other, aquaculture is considered the only option to respond to the growing demand for healthy and sustainable seafood.
Modern aquaculture is a fast-growing and strongly research-driven bio-industry requiring constant innovation and highly skilled entrepreneurs. The Master of Science in Aquaculture, organized at Ghent University since 1991, offers a versatile programme that combines a broad multidisciplinary approach with an in-depth research-based training.
It prepares students for taking on leading roles in scientific research, as well as in policy-making and aquaculture business. Our research group is renowned worldwide for their research in live food applications, focussing on Artemia, and microbial management in larviculture, focussing on host microbial interactions. The research is now supplemented with genomic and epigenetic research making also use of the gnotobiotic toolbox.
The Master of Science in Aquaculture will prepare you to become:
- a keen researcher ready to excel in the exploration of a wide range of aquaculture research aspects.
- a leading policy maker, able to design and implement strategies for the development of the aquaculture industry in your country.
- a teacher and disseminator with all skills needed to acquire and transfer knowledge relevant to the advancement of aquaculture.
- a confident entrepreneur with a solid background to establish and run an aquaculture business.
- a world citizen with a large international network of (future) professionals as the programme is followed by students from all continents.
The Master of Science in Aquaculture offers:
- a programme in which students improve their presentation techniques, communication competences and other generic skills.
- a variety of teaching methods other than classical classroom teaching (e.g. practical exercises, case-study approaches, group work and lab work reporting).
- Applicants must have at least a Bachelor's degree of min. 3 years with good overall scores (at least a second class upper or equivalent) from a university or recognized equivalent.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate through their transcripts basic science training in at least 5 out of 7 of the following fields: (i) Mathematics, including basic statistics; (ii) Physics; (iii) Chemistry; (iv) Biochemistry; (v) Biology; (vi) Microbiology; (vii) Engineering. Some background in aquaculture is recommended too.
The applicant must be proficient in the language of the course or training programme, i.e. English. The English language proficiency can be met by providing a certificate (validity of 5 years) of one of the following tests: (TOEFL/IELTS predictive tests and TOEIC will not be accepted)
- - TOEFL IBT 80
- - TOEFL PBT 550
- - ACADEMIC IELTS 6,5 overall score with a min. of 6 for writing
- - CEFR B2 Issued by a European university language centre
- - ESOL CAMBRIDGE English CAE (Advanced)
Language of instruction is not accepted anymore, except:
a. applicants who have a diploma (Secondary Education, Academic Bachelor Degree, Master Degree) awarded by an (recognised) institution in the Flemish Community
b. applicants who are nationals from or have obtained a bachelor and/or master degree in a higher education institute with English as mode of instruction in USA, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or Canada, and in the latter case a certificate that the mode of instruction was English has to be submitted.
About the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University
The faculty of Bioscience Engineering is one of the 11 faculties of Ghent University.
The faculty is strongly dedicated to international education
, welcoming an average of 350 international students from 100 different nationalities each academic year, on a total amount of almost 3000 students. The focal research topic of the faculty is the living matter
in all its diversity.
The research domains are clustered around Natural Capital, Sustainable Primary Production, Food and Health, Green Chemistry, Bio-Economy, Clean Environmental Technology, Biotechnology and Data-Analysis. Our research excellence is the basis of top-quality education and high international rankings
The faculty of Bioscience Engineering of UGent is top 12-ranked for Agricultural Sciences (QS Ranking, NTU Ranking, Shangai Ranking) and positioned 51 for Life Sciences according to the Times Higher Education Ranking.
Alumni of our international master programmes get a broad range of career options as entrepreneurs, policy makers and research experts.
The faculty is located in the city of Ghent
: a charming, medieval, multi-cultural city with 300.000 inhabitants and home to 77.000 students. 45,000 of those are students of Ghent University, of which our faculty is part.
The city centre of Ghent is a low emission zone with car-free parts and Ghent is a worldwide forerunner in the promotion of sustainable food.
Other courses offered by Ghent University
Master of Science in Environmental Science and Technology
Master of Science in Health Management in Aquaculture
Master of Science in Nutrition and Rural Development
Master of Science in Physical Land Resources for Sustainable Land Management
Master of Science in Rural Development
Master of Science in Soils and Global Change
Master of Science in Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management