Ghent University, Belgium
Master of Science in Environmental Science and Technology
- You are passionate to learn what it takes to create a healthier living environment for all, whilst avoiding pollution, preserving our ecosystems, and sustainably using and recovering resources.
- A new generation of professionals is needed to provide creative, sustainable and workable solutions for increasingly complex environmental problems. –
- You want to learn how to tackle environmental issues from local to global scale, both in developed and developing economies, from oceans to megacities, duly accounting for the driving forces of global climate change.
- After a broad education in Environmental Science and Technology the first year, the programme allows you to specialize for a full year (including master dissertation research) in one of five internationally hot environmental themes (majors), all of which are supported by top-level UGent research.
The Master of Science in Environmental Science and Technology will prepare you to become:
- A top-level researcher, professional, entrepreneur or policymaker trained broadly in all aspects of environmental science and technology.
- A creative and impactful problem-solver in one of five emerging and globally pressing environmental topics, with an increasing demand for highly educated professionals: chemicals management, resource recovery, urban engineering, developing economies or marine systems.
- A world citizen with a large international network and the knowledge and skills to tackle wicked problems.
The Master in Environmental Science and Technology offers you:
- A multidisciplinary and integrated approach to deal with environmental issues.
- A foundation of more than 40 years of experience in environmental education and research.
- The opportunity to study at a top fifteen ranked faculty in Europe (based on Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities, National Taiwan University Ranking, Times Higher Education World Universities Ranking & QS World University Ranking)
For students holding a Non-Belgian Diploma, the programme is open to holders of an academic Bachelor degree (minimum 3 years or 180 ECTS credits) in the field of engineering or sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, ecology, geology, biochemistry, biotechnology, microbiology, earth science, environmental science) or an equivalent level from a recognized university or engineering college. Sufficient academic knowledge is required in:
Mathematics + physics + statistics = 20 ECTS
Chemistry = 10 ECTS
Language of instruction is not accepted anymore, except for:
- a. applicants who have a diploma (Secondary Education, Academic Bachelor Degree, Master Degree) awarded by an (recognised) institution in the Flemish Community
- b. nationals of Australia, Botswana, Canada, Eritrea, Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, UK, USA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, need to send proof of at least one year - 60 ECTS (finished successfully) - of comprehensive English-based instruction at a Higher Education Institution (mode of instruction).
Candidates from any other nationality need to present test results of one of the following tests (validity of 5 years; TOEFL/IELTS predictive tests and TOEIC will not be accepted):
About the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University
- TOEFL IBT 86
- TOEFL PBT 570
- ACADEMIC IELTS 6,5 overall score with a min. of 6 for writing
- CEFR B2
The faculty of Bioscience Engineering is one of the 11 faculties of Ghent University.
The faculty is strongly dedicated to international education
, welcoming an average of 350 international students from 100 different nationalities each academic year, on a total amount of almost 3000 students. The focal research topic of the faculty is the living matter
in all its diversity.
The research domains are clustered around Natural Capital, Sustainable Primary Production, Food and Health, Green Chemistry, Bio-Economy, Clean Environmental Technology, Biotechnology and Data-Analysis. Our research excellence is the basis of top-quality education and high international rankings
The faculty of Bioscience Engineering of UGent is top 12-ranked for Agricultural Sciences (QS Ranking, NTU Ranking, Shangai Ranking) and positioned 51 for Life Sciences according to the Times Higher Education Ranking.
Alumni of our international master programmes get a broad range of career options as entrepreneurs, policy makers and research experts.
The faculty is located in the city of Ghent
: a charming, medieval, multi-cultural city with 300.000 inhabitants and home to 77.000 students. 45,000 of those are students of Ghent University, of which our faculty is part.
The city centre of Ghent is a low emission zone with car-free parts and Ghent is a worldwide forerunner in the promotion of sustainable food.
Other courses offered by Ghent University
Master of Science in Aquaculture
Master of Science in Health Management in Aquaculture
Master of Science in Nutrition and Rural Development
Master of Science in Physical Land Resources for Sustainable Land Management
Master of Science in Rural Development
Master of Science in Soils and Global Change
Master of Science in Sustainable and Innovative Natural Resource Management