University of Koblenz-Landau
Institute for Web Science and Technologies
Master's Program in Web and Data Science
With a master’s degree in Web and Data Science, students will be able to technically improve and analyze the web, to understand how the web influences people and what makes online businesses successful. They will not only learn about legal aspects of the web, but also to analyze and understand its content and the communication between its users.
Finally, they will be able to mathematically describe and predict all of the above. Our interdisciplinary curriculum emphasizes computer science and builds bridges to social sciences, economics, law, linguistics and mathematics. All mandatory courses are taught in English.
The curriculum is organized in seven module groups:
* Foundations of Web Science establishes the main idea of Web Science. It provides an interdisciplinary primary view of the web and of more abstract web structures.
* The Computer Science track teaches the essential technical aspects, namely web engineering, semantic web and web retrieval.
* Web and Society considers interaction of the web and different user groups: citizens, customers, entrepreneurs, and interest groups.
* The module group Elective Courses in Computer Science provides a wide range of technical topics. Modules may be chosen freely from all Master courses in computer science with relevance to the web given at the University of Koblenz-Landau.
* Elective Interdisciplinary Courses contain web-related modules offered by our university from other disciplines (such as economy, social sciences, linguistics, anthropology, communication theory etc.). Students have to freely elect at least two modules.
* Topics for seminars and research lab can be freely chosen from Web Science subjects. Furthermore, this module group contains a social skills and leadership training.
* The topic of the master's thesis can also be freely chosen from any Web Science subjects.
1. Standardized proof of English proficiency. A standardized language certificate is required - we accept IELTS band: 6.5; TOEFL iBT® test: 79; Cambridge Certificate: B2. It is not sufficient if your previous studies were held in English.
2. Academic Background in Computer Science. You need either computer science as a major or 60 European Credit Points in Computer Science during your bachelor’s program.
3. Eligibility to enter a master's program in Germany in general. There are some legal requirements that determine if the bachelor’s certificate from your university allows you to enter a master's program in Germany. Uni-assist checks these requirements when you apply for our program.
4. You need a grade between 1 and 2.5 on the German grading scale to enter our program. Uni-assist transforms your grade for us.
Other courses offered by University of Koblenz-Landau
MSc in Chemistry and Physics of Functional Materials
MSc in Ecotoxicology
MSc in Environmental Sciences
MSc in Mathematical Modeling of Complex Systems
About University of Koblenz-Landau
The University of Koblenz-Landau is one of the youngest universities in Germany and has grown considerably in its relatively short history. Since its transformation from a teacher training college in 1990, numerous new departments and institutes have sprung up. In addition, a wide range of new degree programs and chairs have been created, and existing courses and research consistently expanded.
At the eight existing faculties on the two campuses in Koblenz and Landau, you can currently study Education, Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, Computer Science (Koblenz) and Psychology (Landau). Since 1990, the number of students has increased dramatically to about 17,000 enrolled students, with approximately 8,500 at each campus.
Koblenz is one of the oldest and most attractive cities in Germany with its surroundings honoured as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage.